From regional tastes to plant-based alternatives, the year ahead will focus on flexible eating styles, according to a new report from Kroger. Kroger announced its top food trend predictions for 2019, The Top 5 Food Trends for 2019 are:
- Regional Flavors: Foods influenced by regions across the country are bringing flavor and fun to any meal. From tried-and-true barbecue sauces and flavorful potato chips with a twist.
- Plant-Based Foods: Consumers are finding it is easier than ever before to incorporate more plant-based fare into their daily diets. By electing to go meat or dairy free, whether for a meal, a Meatless Monday, Flexitarian Friday, or every day of the week, there will be more plant-based options
- Eating Styles: More consumers are purchasing better-for-you products and subscribing to different eating styles, from vegetarian to flexitarian to keto and paleo. A recent study reports 15 percent of the U.S. population identify as vegetarian or vegan.
- Gut-Healthy Foods: Medical studies show that a healthy gut is the foundation of overall wellness, and more than ever before, consumers are seeking foods that support self-care and healthy immune systems.
- Low Sugar and Natural Sweeteners: Many consumers are motivated to reduce or eliminate sugar and/or consume alternate natural sweeteners like honey and agave. In fact, 47 percent of consumers say they are working to minimize their sugar intake.